Thank you from your winner – Aoife!

I am over the moon to be the chosen winner of the Drug Discovery Zone. I really did not expect to win, as everyone in my zone were so knowledgeable and very engaged with the students. I firstly would like to thank my research group, FutureNeuro, with special thanks to Linda Coyne for helping me build my profile and to Bridget Doyle for suggesting I enter the competition.

Massive thank you to all the students who made this so interesting! I honestly had SO much fun. I was originally a little nervous about what I was going to be asked but everyone was so interested in neuroscience and what I was doing. I got so many good questions, from ‘do fish have a 3 second memory because they don’t have a hippocampus?’ to ‘what causes some people to be able to lucid dream while others can’t?’ to questions about the dangers of antidepressants on violence. I was also delighted with the amount of people that were asking questions about how to get into neuroscience or a particular area of science. I think we have a lot of future neuroscientists on our hands! 

Finally, I would like to thank the I’m a Scientist team for all their help throughout the competition, from scheduling chats to making everything run so smoothly. It was so organised and I felt like I had a lot of support when I needed it. 

I am looking forward to sitting down with my FutureNeuro team and planning a public engagement event to raise awareness for my research area, Angelman syndrome. Angelman syndrome is a rare neurodevelopmental disorder that affects one in between 15,000 and 20,000 children and only roughly 350 patients in Ireland. I strongly feel that by raising awareness for those affected by Angelman syndrome, there will be a greater demand for funding. 

Thanks again to the students for all their interesting questions!

Posted on November 29, 2019 by modalex in News. Leave a comment